The Inside Story
Peek inside area artists' studios in the Red Dot
Studio Tour, Sept. 20-22.
If you've ever wondered what goes on inside an artist's studio, there's no better opportunity to get a peek than the Red Dot Studio Tour. This free, self-guided tour of Silver City-area artists' studios will be Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 20-22, from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. each day. (Galleries get their turn next month with the Red Dot Gallery Weekend, Oct. 11-14.)
This is your chance to meet some of the most creative artists in the area and get an up-close and personal look into the artists' studios and their creative process. Visitors will be able to watch them demonstrate their work and talk to them about their processes, their methods and thinking.
Participating artists and their studios are:
- Joe Wade at the JW Gallery — Painter and printer; demo of painting and collotype in progress. 99 Cortez Ave., Hurley: Hwy. 180 to Hurley, left at Diaz, right on Cortez to end of street. 537-0300, jwartgallery.com.
- Kathryn Allen — Ceramic artist; demo of creating bas-relief tile. 601 Erie St., Bayard: Hwy. 180 East into Bayard, go right on to Steyskal Street, one block to Erie Street, turn left, go one block to Odd Fellows Hall. 537-3332.
- Christopher Saxman — Abstract photographs; demo on finding abstract images. 4 Hermosa St., Hanover: Hwy. 180 to Hwy. 152 to Hanover, left on Fierro Road 0.7 mile to just past Post Office. 537-3262, fierrocanyongallery.com.
- Victoria Chick — Painter; demo of color mixing. 119 Cow Trail, Arenas Valley: Hwy. 180 to Arenas Valley Road, left onto Cow Trail Road, continue 1.3 miles on dirt road to green gate. (760) 533-1897, www.victoriachick.com.
- Pierre Nichols — Gourd artist; demo of design layout and pyrography. 2316 Johnson Road: From Hwy. 180 take Delk Road to Johnson, then left. 519-2499, artisticgourds.com.
- Barbara Nance — Sculptor and painter; demo of working in stone and steel, wood carving. 105 Country Road: From Hwy. 180 take Rosedale Road, then right on to Country Road. 534-0530, barbarananceart.com.
- Ann McMahon — Fine art print photographer; demo of workflow to produce a canvas print. 125 Country Road: From Hwy. 180 take Rosedale Road, then right onto Country Road to #125. (225) 346-0707, www.AnnMcMahon.com.
- Susan Szajer — Acrylic painting, contemporary art quilts; demo of painting in layers. 18 Sanctuary Road: Hwy. 15 north to mile marker 5, right onto Sanctuary Road, third drive on right, turn right before big gates. 313-7197, susanszajer.com.
- Marcia Smith — Ceramic sculpture, mosaic benches, assemblage/mixed media; demo of play in clay. 13 Jade Dr.: From Hwy. 180 take Alabama to Cottage San, after 1.8 miles turn right on Jade Drive, sharp right again after creek. 313-6959.
- Louise Sackett — Painter; demo of pastel and oil still lifes. 11 Quail Run: From Hwy. 180 onto Fleming Tank Road, right onto Wind Canyon Drive, after 1.7 miles left on to Quail Run, first building. 574-2308, www.louisesackett.com.
- Ron Hanson — Jewelry; demo of creating jewelry in a variety of materials. 613 E. 35th St.: Take Swan Street off Hwy. 180 to 35th Place, end of the cul-de-sac, #613. 534-4563.
- Michael Metcalf — Fabricated stainless-steel, bronze and stone sculptures; demo of the public art process. 2315 Little Walnut Road: From Hwy. 180 take Little Walnut a half-mile, on the left. 313-4406, metcalfsculpture.com.
In downtown Silver City:
- Calhoun, Gibson, Porter — Fiber artists; weaving all day with visitor participation. 107 W. 7th St. 313-6703.
- Barry Namm — Sculptor; demo of painting using sculptor tools. Corner of Black and Market Street. 537-3332, www.nammfountians.com.
- Ann Simonsen — Painter; demo of oil, ink and acrylic. 104 W. Yankie St. 654-5727.
- Wynnegate Studio (Roy Adams and Jane Grant) — Painters and photographers; demo of oil on canvas. 110 W. Yankie St. (214) 957-3688, WynnegateGalleries.com.
- Lois Duffy — Painter; demo of painting with texture. 211 C N. Texas St. 313-9631, loisduffy.com.
- Diana Ingalls-Leyba — Mixed media acrylic and more; painting demo. 102 N. Texas St. 388-5725, www.dianaingallsleyba.com
- Jo Thomas — Mixed media and modern mosaics; demo of hammer-hardie. 502 W. Spring St.
For more information and a downloadable brochure with map, see www.silvercitygalleries.com.